The Australian Marine Sciences Association Technical Award is intended to recognize outstanding achievements in the field of technical support to marine science in Australia. It was first awarded in 2009. This prize serves to emphasize the valuable contribution to marine science made by those who provide the technical and logistical support services that make much research possible.
Annual Call for Nominations - Closes 28th February each year
- The nominee does not have to be an AMSA member;
- Nominations can only be made by AMSA members;
- Self-nominations are not acceptable;
- Complete the Technical Award Nomination Form;
- A letter (max. 2 pages) of nomination should include a summary of the nominee's contribution towards the research, detailing the area of the research and its significance, with key references listed or attached;
- A CV can be helpful for the selection process.
Selection criteria may be considered when awarding the prize although nominees need not necessarily meet all criteria:
- Development and application of techniques, equipment and/or systems, which represent advances in marine science and technology;
- Exceptional and innovative contributions to support those involved in marine research;
- Sustained, consistent and excellent technical support to a research group or agency over the preceding decade.
The nominations will be assessed by a selection panel, chaired by the President of AMSA. The recipient of the Award will be presented with a citation and silver pin and will be invited to give a plenary address to the Annual Conference that is usually held in July each year.
Nominations must be made using the nomination form and sent by the 28th February each year to the Secretary of AMSA. Late nominations cannot be accepted. Note: Nominations are held as current for three years. After three years, the nomination needs to be updated and a new nomination submitted as above.
Download nomination form