The Australian Marine Sciences Association has established a new award for an Emerging Leader in Marine Science. The award recognises excellence in marine research by an early or mid-career scientist.
Annual Call for Nominations - Closes 15th March each year
This award for excellence in marine research is presented to an early or mid-career scientist in recognition of their outstanding research and academic achievement in marine science relative to opportunity, as well as the translation or their research for engagement outside of academia and mentoring of other young scientists.
- hold a PhD with up to 10 years post-PhD conferral at the nomination closing date (consideration will be made for career interruptions such as carers responsibilities and parental leave, illness and non-research employment).
- must be a financial member of AMSA at the nomination closing date
- the winner will be expected to provide a short biography and an article for the AMSA Bulletin
- outstanding research and academic achievement in the area of marine science;
- significant impact of research outside academia;
- demonstrated leadership and mentoring excellence
- (optional) other evidence demonstrating an outstanding contribution to marine science such as science communication
Applicants should submit the form provided below which includes sections to specifically address selection criteria along with a CV and two statements of support (using the provided template) from senior scientists.
The nominations will be assessed by a selection panel chaired by the President of AMSA or proxy. The selection panel will examine the nominations and select the recipient of the award based on the information about the candidates provided in the application. Extra information may be sought from specialists in the applicant’s field. There is no requirement for the award to be given every year, if the selection panel, at its discretion, considers that there is no candidate of a sufficiently high standard.
The recipient of the award will be invited to give a special address to the Annual AMSA Conference to be held in July 2020 in Sydney and financial support up to $3500 to attend the conference. Information about the award winner will be published in the AMSA Bulletin and website after the award has been made.
Note a cover letter is not necessary.
Nominations must be received by the due date, 15th March each year.
Late applications will not be considered.
Email your nominations to the AMSA Secretary.