Regular AMSA Victoria activities:
AMSA Vic aims to promote all aspects of marine science in Victoria. Our activities include:
* Public meetings where guest speakers discuss topical issues in marine science in Victoria. (Meetings include cheese, wine and interesting discussions!)
* An annual Student Research Award of up to $500 to a postgraduate (MSc, PhD) student enrolled at a Victorian university to support their research into any aspect of marine science. The award may contribute to the cost of materials or equipment, travel to the field, or other relevant expense.
* Submission of position papers to the federal AMSA council on important national issues such as marine invasive species.
* Submissions to State Government on important local issues such as the current investigation into Victoria’s network of marine protected areas.
* "My Friend the Jellyfish and other stories . . .": A marine science weekend for undergraduate students. Young marine scientists from universities, industry and government institutions offer insights into some of the careers available in marine science and how to pursue them. Seminars cover a wide range of fields including postgraduate study, work in environmental consultancies, marine research, education, management, scientific diving and much more.
* "Showcasing Victoria's Marine Science": A fantastic marine science showcase where local scientists present their work and their discoveries in a public forum.
* A postgraduate mini-conference: An excellent opportunity for postgraduate researches to share their work and connect with other active AMSA members.
If you are a marine scientist living in Victoria, please consider supporting your local branch by formally joining AMSA Vic when you join AMSA or next renew your AMSA membership. You can follow our news and upcoming events on AMSA Victoria Branch facebook page.
VIC Branch Committee 2021-2022
(AGM held on 4 August 2021)
|President||Allyson||O'Brien||University of Melbourne|
|General Committee||Clare||Grandison||Defence Science and Technology Group|
|General Committee||Paul||Carnell||Deakin University|
|General Committee||Kade||Mills||Victorian National Park Association|
|General Committee||Jeff||Shimeta||RMIT University|
|General Committee||Elodie||Camprasse||Deakin University|
|General Committee||Hugh||Kirkman||Jawbone Marine Sanctuary Care Group|
|General Committee||Kate||Robb||Marine Mammal Foundation|
|General Committee||Ashley||Whitt||The Nature Conservancy|
|Student Representative||Chantel||Foord||Marine Mammal Foundation|
|Student Representative||Morgan||Ellis||Deakin University|