Follow us on Facebook for updates!
Please email the ACT Branch Chair with ideas for future events.
The ACT Branch was reformed during the 2014 AMSA conference in Canberra and consists of marine scientists, managers, technicians, and policymakers in the ACT and surrounding NSW region.
- The ACT Branch supported two successful and engaging events during 2019/20 to promote AMSA and marine research in the ACT and southern NSW region: (1) 'Diving in the Deep'–an evening of marine science talks delivered as part of Pint of Science in Canberra in May 2019; and, (2) ‘Sex, Slugs and Rock ‘n’Roll’–a fun and somewhat naughty marine trivia night where participants learnt all about the dirty secrets of the sea (held in August 2019). These events were extremely well attended and provided ACT AMSA members with an opportunity to meet and network with fellow marine scientists from across Canberra. Unfortunately our planned Christmas Party Cruise on Lake Burley Griffinwas cancelled due to the smokepollutioncaused by the catastrophic 2019-20 bushfires.
- The ACT Branch ran a science communication competition (There's More to Sea in the ACT) for students and early career researchers in August 2018.
- The ACT Branch sponsored the South Coast Marine Discovery Centre's annual Marine Science Forum 3-4 June 2017. A diverse range of dynamic marine scientists discussed their work on marine extremes.
- The ACT Branch hosted two marine scientists (Dr Will Howard and Dr Crid Fraser) to speak during the annual Pint of Science on 15 May 2017 at the Loft at Duxton in O'Connor.
- The ACT AMSA Branch hosted a marine trivia night on 16 September 2016 at 5:30pm at the Hellenic Club in Civic. The evening began with a talk from Dr Brendan Brooke of Geoscience Australia on recent seabed mapping undertaken during the search for flight MH370, followed by four rounds of trivia and opportunities to win prizes.
ACT Branch Contact Details 2019-20
|Treasurer||Vacant, please email President to express interest|