The AMSA Allen Award is a maximum grant of $2,500 to support an outstanding postgraduate student to travel to, and present at, an international conference, in any field of marine science, with the aim of providing the student with the opportunity to gain international experience and contacts. By attending the international conference the student will serve an important role as an ambassador for Australian marine science through improving awareness in the international scientific community of the work of Australian research students. The Allen Award is in memory of Kay Radway and Rosa Allen, who were both active on AMSA Council for many years and is supported by a bequest from the estate of the late K Radway Allen and has been established since June 2008.
Applications are due at midnight on 28 February each year. No late applications will be considered. Please email your application to the AMSA Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications are accepted by email only and should be submitted as a single pdf. The call for applications will be announced in the AMSA eNews. There will only be a single processing of applications each year.
- Be a graduate research student enrolled (either part time or full time) at an Australian University who has, by the application deadline, either: (i) not yet submitted his/her thesis; or (ii) submitted his/her thesis no earlier than the calendar year preceding the deadline for applications
- Must have been a financial member of AMSA since the date of the close of abstracts for the conference at which the presentation is to be made and at the time of the conference
- The work presented has to have been done as the research project to fulfil the requirements of the award of a research degree (i.e. Honours, Masters or PhD) and presented within 18 months of thesis submission
- Be presenting a paper or a poster on his/her own research at the international conference they propose to attend. Payment of the prize to the winner will be conditional on the paper/poster being accepted for presentation at the conference
- Be attending the international conference during his/her membership year following the closing date for applications
- The student must be identified and vouched for by the project supervisor(s)
- The student is responsible for ensuring that approval from University and/or funding organisations has been granted for the presentation
- Preference may be given to a student who has not previously presented at an international conference overseas;
- A candidate who has been awarded an AMSA Allen Award will be ineligible for the AMSA student prizes offered for student papers at the annual conference in the year of the award. However, the student is encouraged to present at the AMSA conference the paper they will deliver at the international conference;
- The winner will be expected to provide a short biography, an abstract of their paper and a short account of the conference for publication in the AMSA Bulletin as soon as possible after the conference.
Judging and Announcement
The AMSA Council will choose the winner. A sub-committee is formed annually to examine the applications and prepare a shortlist with recommendations for Council to consider. The decision will be made as soon as possible after the close of applications and the winner advised as soon as the judging is finalised. However, the formal announcement will be made at the annual conference of AMSA in July.